torsdag den 28. juni 2012

Danish culture at this point made me realize...



That I’ve become so negative.
I think the Danish standard mind is… Negative. Plain negative. I don’t wan to be like that, I will try to change it.
I got to think of it because a complete stranger greeted me this morning. Never seen that person before and he WAS really greeting me. I even looked around to be sure and there were no one else around us. Just a simple ”Good morning”.
I realized that I looked at him as he was some kind of idiot, so I hope I made up for it by smiling when greeting him back. I was just surprised. Very surprised in fact.

In Denmark in general you don’t greet strangers like you do in many other cultures. You barely greet people you know or kinda know and if you do, you won’t be surprised if you get ignored.


I usually greet people but sometimes I don’t know if I should or not because I know they are going to ignore me. I do feel very dumb when I greet someone who ignore me, but it’s the standard here.


I do not think everybody is like this, but I’m 100% sure every Dane know what I’m talking about.

A more extreme example- I saw a show in the beginning of the year called “Hero’s Gala”. It was about people who have made a difference around the world. Some actions were big, others were small but precious.
There were two boys who saved two girls from drowning in a public swimming bath. They were asked in the show if they had any further comments for their action and their reply was: “We only did what everyone else would have done”. Such brave boys, glad there are people like them out there- but the answer is unfortunately incorrect. No one did anything, the girls were even REALLY close to death before they were saved. That is in fact very sad.
If you pass out on a Danish street, have a physical attack, anything like that- you can’t expect anyone to help you. They’re going to act like they don’t notice you or other things like that.
It’s a actually a pretty bad and discussed issue here in Denmark. We all know it’s a big problem and there are lots of novels, songs, poets, etc written about this.
An other example is when I once got into a bus after some procrastinating in the mall. The bus driver smiled at me, welcomed me and wished me a good day. For the first 3 nano seconds I thought “What are you? Which planet do you come from???”. But then I realized that there were just someone polite and forthcoming out there for once. I smiled back and wished him a good day too.
Made me in a better mood. Happy people makes you happy too, eh? Even if it’s a stranger and you only get a bit of it.

We have to put a smile on. That’s how we survive. Right? 

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar